Monday, April 11, 2011

The Perfume of Friendship

It takes a long time to grow an old friend.
Yes?
Okay, this blog will be exhaustingly full of cheesy quotes, take heed.
Proverbs 27:9, "The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense." 

Mmmm, perfume and incense. Time spent in the candle section at Bath & Body Works ;)... or the perfume isle at a department store could last forever.  But Proverbs says that a friend can be more enriching. A friend should build you up in the Word, and be there to provide you with encouragement, accountability, laughs, and honesty.  Friends can make or break you.  This is why I want you to engage in establishing Godly friendships.  Scripture clearly shows that your company will reflect you and your behavior.  Studies have proved the irrefutable parallels between the characteristics of your friends with the characteristics you develop. As the old saying goes: "you are what you eat," there is a similar phrase that goes, "show me your friends, I'll show you your future." Do you believe this?  If it's true, then maybe it is wise to ask are you holding up your end of the bargain?

Do you show kindness, patience, humor, and grace in your friendships?

I want to be the type of friend who uplifts. I hope that I am a good influence. I want to be a prayer partner; someone who will encourage another consistently with their walk with God. I want to always seek the Lord for the words I say and the things I do. I do not want to talk behind my friend's backs. I want to constantly encourage and forgive. I know it is so precious to be in the Word, and to be saturated in Scripture for the sake of my friends. A threefold cord is not easily broken. With the Spirit taking the third strand in a close friendship; there are long-lasting implications.

"When you forget the song in your heart,
a friend is someone who sings it back to you."
I pray that as you read this, you can think of that someone.

Much love,
V

No comments:

Post a Comment