Sunday, May 22, 2011

I am broken


I read an incredible sermon once on the relationship with our Lord and brokenness. The message was based on 1 Corinthians when Paul talks about the Lord's supper and the order of communion. "24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, 'This is my body which is for you. Do this is remembrance of me.'" God is glorified through the broken things.

In one way or another, we are all broken. We break things that we own, we break bread at communion and we have broken hearts, broken dreams, broken visions, broken families, and even broken lives. But there is one thing that we forget: God can be glorified through this! God has instructed his people to break rocks for water, to break loaves of bread to feed thousands, to break pitchers, alabaster boxes, and even then; God was ultimately glorified.

God's people, therefore, can also be broken. We are weak and helpless. This is often perfect timing for when the Lord can take our hearts and do with us what he has been wanting. Paul says in 2 Corinthians 12, "For the sake of Christ then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, perceptions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

I have recently started a book on how the Lord is glorified in the broken things. It is called Shattered Dreams: God's Unexpected Pathway to Joy by Larry Crabb. If you have experienced a shattered dream, or if you just watched My Girl last night (like I did :) ) and have questions regarding loss and grieving, please pick up this book and join with me to journey through why life can really hurt sometimes. In his book, he says that it is important to know that God does not have to give us perfect lives. When becoming a Christian, we will not have perfect weeks with a great family 24/7 and perfect homes with plenty of time to solve the world's problems. Crabb says "we can count on God to patiently remove all the obstacles to our enjoyment of Him. He is committed to our joy, and we can depend on Him to give us enough of a taste of that joy and enough hope that the best is still ahead to keep us going in spite of how much pain continues to plague our hearts."

I hope He does break us so that we can learn to draw hear to Him in this brokenness. We can break bread and reflect on how Jesus was broken for us, all to glorify our holy God.

Much love,
V

PROGRESS REPORT:
One more thing... Through this pain and suffering, blessings from the Lord are so abundant.  My daddy got married this weekend :) to a beautiful woman named Amanda. She and her two children are officially a part of our family and I truly cannot be more blessed.  She has come to know the Lord as her savior, and brings so much joy to our lives. If you creep on some of my past blogs, it might help to fill you in, but after five and a half years, I am so sincere in the fact that my dad deserves to be the happiest person in the world.  He is my hero in every way and I hope that as time passes, some of relatives on my mom's side will be able to appreciate and love him again the way they once did.  I know the truth of where my dad's heart is, how he feels about my mom, and this truth has and does set me free of any bitterness or anger. I pray that those who have judged him will take a glance back into his or her own heart. I look forward to the next season of life with hope and optimism, Jesus is so good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment