Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I'm Burning Plows & Digging Ditches for Rain

Life is hard. I'd like to publicly make some goals:

I've started a Bible/book study with a very large group of amazing people. It's the Melissa Taylor study of the book, Greater, by Steven Furtick.

Funny chapter titles with deep meanings. I joined the study a little late, so over the past week I've read up on five chapters to catch up. They've hit me hard today, because today is my mom's birthday. I miss her so much. So what has the book taught me so far?

I have plows to burn and ditches to dig. Yes, the ditches are for rain, and NOT the Minnesota snow. These are analogies from the story of Elisha, who was approached by Elijah while he was in his routine of plowing with his oxen with a lack of a vision for what was "greater." When Elijah found him, he symbolically burned the plows as a sign of his radical faith in the greater plan for his life. Years later, he instructed a city in the midst of a drought to dig ditches for the massive amount of rain that God was about to provide.

My plows to burn:

  • "what if" thoughts
  • critical/skeptical spirit
  • the grasp I have on my routine (work and personal)
The rain to come (after I dig some ditches):
  • I have a hope and a future!
  • I am blessed in the field, and blessed in the city
  • He knows every hair on my head, and clothes the flower, He will take care of my needs and desires
Now it's time for me to remember this and put these thoughts into action.

Faith without works is dead.

It's good to be back,

V

No comments:

Post a Comment